What can you expect if you are making aliyah from Los Angeles?
• The average high for Los Angeles in January is 68 degrees Fahrenheit. In Tel Aviv it is 60 degrees and in Jerusalem it is 53 degrees.
• Summers in Israel are similar to in Los Angeles. Los Angeles’ average high in July is 83 degrees. In Tel Aviv, the July high is 85 degrees and in Jerusalem it is 84 degrees.
If you love the Southern California beach scene, you’ll find many beaches to enjoy along Israel’s coast, at the Dead Sea, and at the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee). Some beaches offer separate swimming areas for men and women.
In terms of work, you may be employed even before you arrive in Israel! More than 1500 Californian companies do business in Israel, especially in the high tech sector. Many of Israel’s technology companies are in the Tel Aviv area, especially along the coast stretching from North Tel Aviv to Herzliya. Technology companies are also based around Ra’anana, Petah Tikvah, Caesarea, Haifa, Rehovot, Rishon LeZion, and Jerusalem.
For those of you working in LA’s film industry, your work will likely be in the Tel Aviv area since that is where most of Israel’s film and TV production companies are located. Jerusalem has a small sector, however. The JVP Media Quarter, next to the city’s historic original train station, houses the Jerusalem Animation Studios and dozens of other media start ups, along with a technology incubator and a performing arts hub.
If you’re interested in the entertainment business, you might want to consider one of Israeli’s film and television schools:
• Tel Aviv University, offering a four-year-long bachelor’s degree program in film.
• Jerusalem’s Sam Spiegel School of Television & Film, known for its award-winning student films.
• The Ma’aleh School of Television, Film, & the Arts in Jerusalem has many religiously observant students and calls itself “the only film school in the world devoted to
exploring the intersection of Judaism and modern life.”
• Beit Berl College in Kfar Saba offers a joint degree in film and film education (including a teaching certificate). They also have a program in video game design and development.
For more information about aliyah from Los Angeles, contact your regional Israel Aliyah Center:
Israel Aliyah Center - Los Angeles
Aliyah and Integration Department
6505 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 525
Los Angeles, CA 90048