Transformers and Small Appliances in Israel
Late-model small appliances may work with no problem on a transformer. For a kitchen full of new American small 110-volt appliances, you can install one transformer into a cabinet with a multi-socket connected just below it. Timers or clocks may not be accurate, though, since they use the frequency (hertz, cycles) of the current to keep time. Many small appliances still sell for twice as much in Israel as in the USA, so it is worthwhile checking. See Israel prices at www.zap.co.il. Likely not worth importing: hand drills, battery chargers, fans, small fan-heaters, small radiator heaters, and toaster ovens. Likely still worth importing: electric toothbrush, shaver, hair dryer, slow cooker, hand power tools (jigsaw, circular saw), dehumidifier, blender, keyboard, air purifier.
Remember: Transformers should never be kept on the counter level or near water. The following chart is transformer wattage, size, and cost per year if plugged in all the time.
|Watts||Cost/year if plugged in all the time||Size
Don't even think of using a transformer with...
- Air conditioners: better to get a TAX-FREE split unit in Israel.
- Heating devices: toasters, toaster ovens, heaters, and irons. The transformer will weigh and cost more than the appliances. (For something that is going to stay on for less than 90 seconds, you could use a converter, which is a small, usually light colored box that says ‘up to 1500 watts”.) Some people have used one big transformer for all their small appliances including heating devices. In that case, it’s important to install a switch so that the transformer does not stay on all the time. This saves electricity and makes it less likely that turning the transformer on will ‘flop your fuses’.
- Vacuum cleaners, dishwashers.
- Washers and dryers...though from time to time we have sold domestic US washers, dryers, and US washer/dryer combinations such as the stacked Maytag washer/gas dryer and installed them with transformers. They seem to work fine.
- TV, VCR, DVD: A US VCR will work on transformer, but only if it is 50/60 hertz and only for US tapes played on a US or multi-system TV. Same for a US DVD. There are many US-system DVD system recordings available in the video/DVD libraries in Israel. Also some of the US DVD players can be reprogrammed to accept any non-US DVD recordings.
Refrigerators and Freezers Ovens Washing Machines and Dryers Dishwashers, Microwaves, and Mixers
Bring Your Old Appliances? Vaccums, A/c's, and filters
Computers, Tv's, and Stereos Preparation of Site for Imported Appliances